May 7, 2012

Wordle + VoiceThread + Ipad

After reading Jose Picardo's post about having used only one iPad in class, I decided to give it a go. I've recently got an iPad as a gift and wanted to see what I could do with it in class.

Well, this afternoon I took my iPad to class as I wanted to record students reading their own sentences to a voice thread created by a colleague (AureaStela). Stela had the brilliant idea to create a wordcloud with verbs which take GERUND and INFINITIVE and then asked her students to record sentences using the given verbs.

This is what I proposed to my students today:

1. First, I opened her voice thread on the IWB and played the recordings for them.
2. Then, I assigned a different verb to each student and asked them to make a sentence using Gerund or Infinitive. I monitored helping them out with their sentences.
3. I gave them a hand-out with a grammar exercise on the same topic and asked students to complete the exercise in class. Meanwhile, I would use my iPad to move round the class to record each student reading their own sentences ( I used the voicethread app for recording) . To make it faster, all students used my voice thread account.
4. After I had saved all recordings, I played their recordings on the IWB for everyone to listen to.

   Impressions? I would definitely do this again. Students were involved and seemed to have enjoyed listening to all the sentences in class.

2 comments:

Sanja said...

Dear Ana Maria,

I came home from school this afternoon very proud of my students' work on a Voicethread I'd created for them and found your post about Voicethread with your students. It looks like we thought about the same tool at the same time:)

I found your use of Voicethread very interesting. I am sure your students enjoyed the lesson and learned a lot. Thank you for sharing your idea.

Regards,
Sanja

Ana Maria Menezes said...

Dear Sanja,

Thanks for the comment. Voicethread is truly an amazing tool, it's a pity you have a limit of presentations if you have a free account. The activity was very simple but really engaging.